Saturday, December 15, 2007

Drew Carey Wrecks Price Is Right

Have you had a chance to watch The Price Is Right lately? We have moved into the post-Bob-Barker era, and now Drew Carey is hosting. I am not happy with this state of affairs. Not at all.

The Price Is Right has always been entertaining and lovable because it is so uncool. Full grown men and women scream and jump around like kids. The set is all colours and flashing lights, like a carnival. And Bob Barker was the King of this fantasy land, taking it all in stride. It was an irony-free zone, which is a precious thing in this jaded world.

I always felt safe with Bob in charge. He treated even the silliest games with a certain amount of grave seriousness, and always expressed appropriate sympathy with the contestants, whether they won or lost. The viewers at home were free to ridicule as they wished, but the show itself was sincere.

Drew Carey, on the other hand, doesn't seem to care at all about this magical land that he has inherited. He steps on stage with a smug little half-smile, as if to say to us all "Isn't this a ridiculous show, and isn't it crazy that I'm getting paid to host it? Well, whatever, I have bills to pay, so let's get this over with."

Nothing else has changed, but Drew's attitude taints it all. He keeps himself emotionally distant, shows no enthusiasm and, worst of all, makes ironic comments. Who's idea was it to give him the job? Because I want them to know: he sucks! Is he still on probation? Is it too late to fire him?

10 comments:

The Frugal Princess said...

You know, I just couldn't get past the line stating that Drew Carey was now hosting Price is Right. That's just all shades of wrong and, frankly, a little creepy.

Jameil said...

you are absolutely right. i was never a fan of the show, but it def. is nothing w/drew. he's very "hahahaha i have this job but isn't it wack?" and it's not cute.

Stewie said...

Barker always seemed to be a dirty old man to me. Part of the appeal to the show. lol.

And I'm tagging you with a meme. Or something.

R.E.H. said...

Never liked Drew Carey myself. I just don't think he's funny.

Didn't watch Price is Right before, and with him hosting, there's little chance that I'll start now...

Style Me Organized said...

oh no. that's disappointing. i haven't watched (don't really know when it's on) but now i'm going to check it out. you're so right, it was this show lost in a different time and was never caught up in being current. bummer it had to change.

Sparkling Red said...

The Price is Right was my comfort TV for days when I was too sick to go to school or work. I can't think of any show I'd rather watch through a haze of fever.

And hey, I just have to say to all of my readers and commenters: I am so tickled to know you are out there, and to receive your thoughts! The "community" part of blogging is really starting to make itself felt to me. It's lovely. Thank you!

karen333 said...

Well you won't be seeing any more old people as constants on the show. they are gone, oh well i am 66, so that is the way it is old people must vanish. now only young constants are allowed on the show, at least that is all i see. show could changed more, might end up being a show for only good looking white constants. yes the show has changed. they can do what ever they want. Bob was old himself so i guess he couldn't hate old people, Drew does. they just want a pretty picture no more real people.

Sparkling Red said...

Karen333: That's a shame. Young people have enough excitement in their lives. I love to see an older person thrilled to pieces and jumping up and down like a kid. One day it'll be my turn, and you can bet I'll still want to have some fun! :-)

Unknown said...

You hit it right on the nose... It's like he's playing the host because he lost a bet to one of his old college buddies. Where's the savvy? Where's the personality? Where's a pulse???? This is a spit in the face to a show that has been around since Drew was still popping zits!!! Have some pride you puke!

Lizzeth88 said...

Is Drew Carey trying to destroy game shows. Yesterday's April Fools show on Price is Right was the worst. Carey looks bored. If the show is too slow for him, he should move on. The Price website doesn't seem to accept suggestions. Not to mention Wayne Brady on Let's Make a Deal. Who can help us. We love the games only.