Saturday, October 17, 2009

An Ode to Me


My good friend at What I Got So Far v.2.0 has written a lovely poem about me. It is now officially my most favourite poem of all time. It's called "Ode to Spark" and it goes like this:

She hunts ants like an aardvark,
She’s from the land of Denmark,
She helped sink the Bismarck,
She’s as dangerous as a shark,
Her bite is worse than her bark.

Then, as if my head weren't swelled enough from all this ego-boosting balladeering, DarcsFalcon added a second verse, thusly:

When angels see her, they hark!
With her, guys always wanted to park.
Her sincerity is never stark.
Being with her makes you feel safe in the dark.

It's fantastic. You might say that I'm biased and just being a sucker for attention, but you'd be wrong.

Thank you, friends, for your splendid, lyric poetry!

Then, because she's so generous, DarcsFalcon also offered me an award:



The One Lovely Blog award comes with one rule; I have to tell you seven interesting things about myself. OK, here goes...

1) When I was a kid I used to eat Smarties by biting them into quarters and eating the pieces one by one. I liked to make good things last.
2) I must be very dense, because I can't float in a swimming pool, like everyone's supposed to be able to.
3) I've been to South Africa, when I was 8 years old, in 1980 when apartheid was still in effect. My mum had a lot of trouble explaining apartheid to an eight-year-old.
4) BBQ eel is one of my favourite foods. In Japanese it's called Unagi.
5) When I was a kid I only had molars on the right side of my jaw. When my adult teeth came in I got molars on both sides, but I still only chew on the right side because that's how I learned to eat.
6) I used to be early for everything but these days I'm usually at least a little late. The older I get, the later I get. By the time I retire I'll be a day late for work every day. I'll appear to be on time but I'll work on Saturdays and not on Mondays.
7) I think freckles are cute. I have a few myself, and I never hated them.

And as if that weren't enough, Ron at The Warped Mind Of Ron also offered me an award!



The official rules are:

  • Copy and change the answers to suit you and pass it on.
  • Answers may be one word only
  • Once you have filled it out be sure to pass it on to 6 of your favorite bloggers.
  • Alert them that they have been awarded!
  • Have fun!
1. Where is your cell phone? purse
2. Your hair? auburn
3. Your mother? argh
4. Your father? two
5. Your favorite food? eel
6. Your dream last night? wedding
7. Your favorite drink? water
8. Your dream/goal? love
9. What room are you in? bedroom
10. Your hobby? sing
11. Your fear? illness
12. Where do you want to be in 6 years? *shrug*
13. Where were you last night? home
14. Something that you aren’t? astronaut
15. Muffins? yum!
16. Wish list item? iPod
17. Where did you grow up? Toronto
18. Last thing you did? sing
19. What are you wearing? fleece
20. Your TV? big
21. Your pets? zero
22. Friends? Hi!
23. Your life? Good
24. Your mood? content
25. Missing someone? no
26. Vehicle? husband's
27. Something you’re not wearing? unitard
28. Your favorite store? Jacob
29. Your favorite color? blue
30. When was the last time you laughed? ??? today
31. Last time you cried? recently
32. Your best friend? Ken
33. One place that I go to over and over? work
34. One person who emails me regularly? Logan
35. Favorite place to eat? home

Now I think you're all Lovely and Tops or I wouldn't be reading your blogs. So anyone whose blog I've ever commented on can come and take one or both awards. Do the memes if you feel like it - I'm not the meme police.

Have a good weekend, all!

14 comments:

wigsf said...

Apartheid is still confusing for adults.

Claire said...

I love those verses!

Cxx

Scarlet said...

Don't you love being the subject of a poem? How sweet it is.

I think it's cool you're wearing fleece. Wish it got that cold to wear fleece where I'm from. (Maybe at the ice rink next week...)

Sparkling Red said...

wigsf: Indeed. Good point.

Claire: I usually prefer nonsense poetry to serious poetry.

Scarlet: I love my fleecey winter home-pants. I live in them as much as I can during the cold weather. Being cozy is one of the best feelings ever.

LL Cool Joe said...

Oh cool! 2 Awards! You are really popular!

They are well deserved too!

LL Cool Joe said...

Ps. Am I allowed to pinch one of your awards??

DarcsFalcon said...

I'm glad you liked the poem - it was fun coming up with things to rhyme with Spark. :D

Congrats on your awards! Looks like it has been Spark week!

anon said...

I love the idea of being an entire day late for work. Just catches my fancy.

I like freckles too, nothin' cuter than freckles!

ahem.

Sparkling Red she paints the town,
Beating furious demons down.

Steeling from the queen her crown,
Sparkling red she paints the town.

Nicole said...

Well, you are gorgeous, so you well deserve it all :)!

Sparkling Red said...

LL Cool Joe: You are absolutely allowed. In fact, take one of each! :-)

DarcsFalcon: Indeed, it has been a pretty fantastic week for me to feel appreciated. :-)

powdergirl: "Beating furious demons down"! I've never come across any furious demons, but if I do, you can bet I'll beat them down. :-)

Nicole: Thank you! You're making it awfully hard for me to stay humble. ;-)

Warped Mind of Ron said...

Forgive my crude poem here, I work better with pain and sorrow ;-)

Sparkling Red
A woman of wit and charm.
Beauty running much deeper than skin.
Eyes that see more than she seeks.
A soul that feels more than the norm.
Finding her place in the world.
Dealing with pain at work and home.
All the while shining for others, so like.
Sparkling Red.

Sparkling Red said...

Ron: I wish you could see my face to know how sincerely I mean this: that is beautiful, and wonderful, and lovely. Thank you with all of my heart. You have brought a mist of joy to my eyes. :-)

Jenski said...

Ewwww, eel; yay, freckles!

Did you have wisdom teeth?

Sparkling Red said...

Unfortunately yes, I did get all four wisdom teeth. I had them removed a long time ago. That's something I should definitely blog about sometime...