Friday, February 8, 2013

I get knocked down, but I get up again.

I'd forgotten how uncomfortable it is to have a fever.

On Wednesday I noticed that my throat felt tight.  Not painful or tickly, just restricted.  Swallowing a spoonful of oatmeal felt weird.  Also, my ears were popping throughout the day.

On Thursday, I woke up feeling like crap.  Achey, tired, and that tightness in my throat had turned into pain.  However, there were a couple of things at work that I absolutely had to take care of.  If I wasn't in imminent danger of death, I had to drag my butt into the office and get things done.

At work, I bundled up in a fleece jacket and wrapped a scarf three times around my neck, but I was still freezing cold.  I sipped a cup of hot tea, which warmed me up for all of 20 minutes, and then I was back to shivering again.  When people asked me "How are you doing today?" I answered bluntly: "Sick."  I was offered Tylenol and Advil to take the edge off my discomfort, but I had to turn it down.  That stuff eats holes in my stomach.

All morning, people kept trying to send me home.  I wish.  I toughed it out, checking in regularly with the people who owed me pieces of the project that had to get sent out before the end of the day.

I took a long lunch, because I had to chew my food a lot before I could swallow each mouthful.

By the time I got to my afternoon can't-miss meeting, I was shivering, my brain was running at half-power, and strange zapping feelings were running through my body, which was kind of distracting.  I managed to run the meeting successfully under these conditions, and I have to say that I'm proud of myself.  The badass manager does not let illness stand in the way of her responsibilities!

Then I got that damn project done and sent.

Then I took a cab home and crumpled into a useless, feverish, groaning mess on the couch.

It was a rough night, but by this morning the fever had gone, and so far (it's evening, and I've spent the day resting at home) it hasn't come back again.  I'm still feeling pretty worn out, and my throat is still kind of sore, but I can safely say that my immune system has the upper hand.  One more good night's sleep and I might even be able to enjoy my weekend.  Rock and roll!

How are all y'all feeling?


DarcKnyt said...

Here's to victory for your immunodefense system! Woo! Feel better soon. I'll say a prayer.

Lynn said...

Sorry you are sick. My wee nephew has something called RSV, that the news says is epidemic. Just terrible - the germs going around.

Warped Mind of Ron said...

Get plenty of rest. The bug going around is pretty nasty. Feel better soon.

LL Cool Joe said...

I had a nasty bug straight after Christmas, but now I'm feeling okay. I hope you have a great weekend and recover completely by Monday so you can continue your job as badass manger. ;)

Granny Annie said...

You will e able to work on Monday but you won't have anyone to help because the rest of your staff will be home sick.

Sparkling Red said...

DarcKnyt: Thanks! :-)

Lynn: Oh dear. I hope that your nephew gets better soon.

Ron: I think that a short nap every two hours or so ought be enough rest, d'you think?

Joe: I'm actually kind of enjoying this rare opportunity to lie on the couch and do nothing but snack and watch TV.

Granny Annie: I tried very hard to stay in my office and not breathe on anyone.

Jenski said...

Good job, immune system! I know that tylenol/advil are sometimes necessary, but I often wonder if you let the fever run its course if it's actually a better option? Enjoy your rest now that you're feeling better!

G. B. Miller said...

I'm doing okay so burn out to speak of, which usually precedes any kind of minor malady I come across.

DarcsFalcon said...

Goodness hon! I'm so sorry you've been under the weather! (I'm so far behind in my reading :( ) Hopefully by now you're all up and at 'em again. How awesome that you responded so quickly to rest! That must be some kind of record, and I'd say you sound like one of the healthiest people I know. :) *hugs*