Sunday, April 13, 2014

Bas Couture

Well, that's interesting.  I meant for the title of this post to translate as "Low Fashion", inasmuch as "bas" means "low".  ("Couture", for the record, means "sewing".)  However, Google Translate tells me that the phrase "bas couture" means "seamed stockings".  Go figure.  So, I present to you: Low Fashion, or Seamed Stockings, as you prefer.

I have been doing a little spring shopping.  Initially I wasn't much in the mood for it, however I've managed to outgrow some of my summer work shirts, so I thought I'd better hit the mall.

The mall let me down.  90% of this season's clothes are black, white, and grey.  I am not  entirely against neutrals - they obviously have their place - but after this dreary winter I'm craving colour.  Who's with me?

(The entire city of Toronto, stripped of its blanket of snow, is such a stunned, grey-beige landscape at the moment that we may need a mega-sized set of defibrillator paddles to shock some life back into the land.)

In the  meantime, I spent this weekend at a couple of thrift shops, in search of inspiration.  I found it.  Here is photographic evidence of my haul.  Excuse me while I gloat about my bargains.

This dress fits as though it were custom made for me.  It was a steal at $13.


I don't usually go in for drapey blouses, but I couldn't resist the roses on this one.  It's 100% polyester, so static is going to be an issue, but I have a can of Static Guard, and it's sure going to be easy to launder.  It was a reasonable $9.


I always get chilly in air conditioning, and I didn't have any cardigans that would work with this particular top, so I bought one.  So cozy!  It was $7.


If there's anything I don't need more of, especially at this time of year, it's pullover sweaters.  But this one called my name.  I figured, what's 8 bucks for a chance to wear half the rainbow?


You get a closeup of this shirt, so that you can appreciate the pink Hawaiian print.  So cute!  (This one was $5.)


In the end, I managed to fill a big bag with clothes for under $50.  Now that's what I'm talking about! I was willing to pay full price at the mall, but they didn't have anything that I wanted.  More's the luck for me.  Not to mention that I found $2 in the change room.  Score!  Now I just have to run all my finds through the laundry (some of them do smell a little odd) and I'm all set.

10 comments:

DarcKnyt said...

Wow, fantastic finds and good prices! What's NOT to love?

I love thrift store shopping. It's not always easy to find something I like, but when I do, it's always cheap. :)

We don't have any 'round these parts, sadly. :(

Jenski said...

I love all of it and kinda want you to shop for me now. When I can afford a personal shopper on a professorial salary, I know where to go. Your post is a good reminder to find a good consignment shop near me.

Granny Annie said...

What a perfect topic for me. I love colors. Bright splashy colors that say Spring has sprung. Went to lunch last week on an 86 degree day and met four ladies. I had on capri pants with a bright green top. They might as well have stepped out of the same closet. All subdued earth tones. I looked like a clown heading to the circus. Today is cooler so I'm wearing jeans but a pink top and PINK shoes. Still a nonconformist.

Granny Annie said...

Oh and the best part. The green blouse was on the clearance rack for $3.97 and the pink I'm wearing today was on sale for $8.00.

Warped Mind of Ron said...

Looks good. Can you be my personal shopper too? ummm... then again I don't think I could pull off your look...

Sparkling Red said...

DarcKnyt: How can there be a neighbourhood without thrift stores? I... I just don't understand.

Jenski: If your career ever brings you to Toronto, we have a shopping date. I love shopping for other people. Trying stuff on is a hassle. Picking things out is the fun part.

Granny Annie: Pink shoes? I love it! When I was paying for my finds, a woman at the next cash was buying a pile of black and beige clothing. :-p That's fine though; she left all the good stuff for me. ;-)

Ron: Sure, I'd be happy to shop for you. Although you will find it a little more taxing to fold your laundry when every pair of socks is a different colour and pattern from the next.

Lynn said...

Great bargains! Really great.

Vanessence7 said...

Woo, you got some awesome ... what's the clothing equivalent of bling? Great bargains there, Spark!

When I was a kid, I hated thrift store shopping. My classmates shopped at the expensive places. As an adult though, this one store my husband found was such an awesome place to shop. I'd get silk blouses for $3. Miss that place! Sadly, there aren't any in the area we live in now. I don't get it either.

And the colors look wonderful on you. :) I love the rainbow.

G. B. Miller said...

That print looks sensational on you.

LL Cool Joe said...

You did well, my favourite is the pullover, it really suits you.

I had a try on on some of my clothes and that decided although I'm carrying a bit of extra weight, the large baggy t-shirts I'm wearing aren't really concealing that fact, but are actually making me look like a large sack of potatoes, but I'm not ready to buy a smaller size.