Sunday, October 19, 2014

Thanksgiving in Bloomfield

I went to Bloomfield to stay with relatives for Thanksgiving.  The weather was mostly like this:


Wow, right?  At least for us city slickers who almost never get to see a horizon free from concrete clutter.  Some of you are probably saying "Pshaw, I see views like that every day of my life, in my rural paradise."  (I'm looking at you, Granny Annie.)  In my experience, however, this view is outstanding.

So is this one:


We went for a walk on an almost-deserted beach, crossing paths only with a handful of other humans, and some very happy dogs.  The sand was covered in little shells.


If you walked down by the waterline, it felt like you were crunching along an endless field of potato chips.

My family's house in Bloomfield is a new purchase, and they have only just finished decorating it.  I think it looks great.


My step-mom's art graces the walls.  She's a talented painter.  I like these bathing ladies.


As one does on Thanksgiving, we fed our faces.  Thanksgiving dinner was cooked at home, however I was treated to meals out at a variety of local eateries.  This squirrel sat next to me at The Regent, jealously guarding his nut.


We also did sight-seeing.  This is the view from Lake on the Mountain road.  That's Quinte Bay down there, with ferries gliding serenely back and forth.


Quinte Bay again, much improved by my sister's enthusiastic presentation.


Right across the road, literally steps away, is the Lake on the Mountain.  Maybe it's not exactly on a mountain, but it's clearly several hundred feet above the bay.  According to the signs by the water, geologists have not yet figured out how the lake formed up there.


Much is made of the mystery.

We could have gone shopping in a number of local businesses, which were all open for the long weekend, hoping to suck dollars out of tourists' pockets.  However, if there's one thing I get more than enough of in Toronto, it's opportunities to shop.  We skipped all the retail except for this one place: Surfer Girl.  It sells hella big ornamental doodads, things that no one in Toronto would have space for.  Here you can buy something at an appropriate scale for your multi-acre front lawn.


Like this set of five-foot-tall Tiki masks.


Seriously, you have to click on that photo and take a good look at the dog statue in the lower right corner.  That pooch totally looks like it's on crack.

Our last Hurrah was at Drake By the Lake, for brunch.  I went all out and ordered the Fried Chicken on a Pecan Waffle with Chile-Spiced Maple Syrup.  It was one of the best things I've ever eaten, no word of a lie.  The weather was a little cloudier by then, but the view from the dining room window was still amazing.  Picture the tree branches blowing in the wind, and frilly, white waves rolling in onto the shore.


Only a few hours after brunch, I was getting off a train in Toronto, navigating crowds at Union station, and wondering if I'd have time to do a load of laundry before setting my alarm for work the next day.  Long weekends are never long enough.

8 comments:

Warped Mind of Ron said...

Looks like an awesome place to live.... well except for that squirrel. He was sort o scary.

Lynn said...

What a lovely day and such beautiful scenery. I'm wondering about that lake.

Great photos of you! And the dog on crack... :)

DarcKnyt said...

Wow, jaw-dropping beauty! Sounds like a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving, and as usual your photo essay makes me feel like I saw it myself!

Happy Thanksgiving (belated), Spark! God bless you all!

Ginny said...

Ah for a second I thought we had caught a glimpse of the elusive Spark. I do love your sister's coat!

I quite like the squirrel statute.

Seems like a lovely Thanksgiving. I can't wait for it down here in the states.

G. B. Miller said...

Love those pics and the area looks like a fantastic place to relax.

Father Nature's Corner

Granny Annie said...

Thanks for the shout out. Now I feel guilty for the days I go about my business and don't stop to enjoy the great view that surrounds me.

I must go dig in my storage shed because I believe I have a squirrel statue that also appears to be on crack. Would go great with the dog. LOL

What is traditional on your table at Thanksgiving?

Sparkling Red said...

Ron: Yeah, I had a feeling about that squirrel... like I couldn't trust him for some reason.

Lynn: Thanks! However the truth is that that pretty girl is my sister. :-)

DarcKnyt: Happy Belated Thanksgiving to you too!

Ginny: Apparently that coat is one-of-a-kind, handmade to order in... Hong Kong, was it? My sister picked it up at a garage sale, because she's awesome at finding bargains like that.

G.B.: I am definitely ready to go back anytime.

Granny Annie: We definitely need to see your cracked-out squirrel. :-)

Jenny Woolf said...

A delightful relaxing time, and lovely weather. Your stepmother is truly talented... A striking original painting that is. Such country breaks can be such balm to a city soul.