Monday, September 6, 2010

CNE Fair Photos




Welcome to the CNE fairgrounds. You enter here, through the lovely Princess gates.

First stop was the petting zoo. This photo doesn't fully capture the intensity of the horse's stare. He wanted some of those Nom Pellets, right now! Yes, that's me under the hat.

I believe that llamas were invented by Jim Henson.

Look at that smile on the smallest piglet. I wonder what she's dreaming of.

Aaaaaaaaah! Attack of the zombie beasts!

The lovely, placid burro. His lips were very fuzzy.

These birds are from the Canadian Raptor Conservancy. (Raptor means a bird of prey.) This little kestrel is called Andre, after Andre the giant.

There was some audience participation.

This is Harley the owl. Ain't she a beaut?

There were also dozens of rides, games, and a huge indoor mall, but all our best photos were of our furry and feathered friends.

8 comments:

Warped Mind of Ron said...

Horse thoughts: "NOM PELLETS NOW!!!! {insert horse derogatory term for humans here}!!"

I'm also betting the little piggy was not thinking BACON!!!

DarcsFalcon said...

Looks like a fun time!

And I love your hat. :D

Jameil said...

ROTFL @ I believe that llamas were invented by Jim Henson. LOLOLOL!

When we were little my mom took us to the raptor rehab-type place near my hometown and we had to leave after a while b/c my sister was terrified. What?!?! YOU HAVE A PET BIRD!! Sigh. Pansy.

G. B. Miller said...

Ahhhh....the petting zoo.

So innocent. So relaxing. So peaceful.

So...I have no idea where I was going to go with this.

But, it sounds like you had a great time over the weekend, and had weather to match.

Anonymous said...

Did you try the deep fried butter?

Sparkling Red said...

Ron: The best derogatory term for humans I know of is that one from Star Trek TNG: "Ugly bags of mostly water." I doubt the horse knows that one. He's probably too young to have watched STTNG.

DarcsFalcon: Thanks! That hat and I have been inseparable this summer.

Jameil: LOL So I guess your sister wouldn't have wanted the giant falcon to stand on her head?

G: Actually some of the goats can get pretty aggressive. They only let the little ones wander around because the big ones will jump up and put their hooves on your shoulders, and practically knock you over. The big goats are confined to a pen, with only their greedy heads sticking out.

WIGSF: Nope, I didn't even see the stand. Anyway a) there were 2-hr-long lineups, apparently and b) even if there weren't a line up, I'm not keen on trying food that is that grossly decadent. I also took a pass on the deep fried Mars bars last year. I wonder what's next year? How can you get more decadent than fried butter?

Warped Mind of Ron said...

OMG! Star Trek Next Generation quotes?! If you weren't married young lady!!!

I agree, I think horses are more original series sort of animals.

Jenski said...

I like the burro. :-) Looks like a good use of your new found energy!