Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Drained

Last week was excellent.  From the Monday after the Purim Party, I had energy.  By the weekend, I even had a spring in my step.  For the first time in two months I could walk at a "normal" pace, picking my feet right up and even passing other people on the sidewalk.  It was fantastic.  I was so grateful just to be able to move around freely.

I was a little tired after staying out late for the Turkey Dinner, but I snoozed all of Sunday and by yesterday (Monday) I was feeling great again.  Like my old, healthy self.  I had almost forgotten what that felt like.

But you know what's coming, since I'm writing about these good, peppy feelings in the past tense.  Yesterday afternoon I went to get my blood drawn for the tests Dr. H (the homeopathic MD) ordered, and my energy levels are now flat as a proverbial pancake.  :-ppppppp

Ken drove me to my favourite lab, where all the blood-sucking technicians have a light touch and are patient with my Fainty McFainster tendencies.  In the past I've had to wait as long as 45 minutes for my turn, but this time there was not a single other patient on the premises when we walked in, so I didn't have time to sit around fretting about getting jabbed.

A lovely lady brought me in, settled me down on the examination table, and within one almost painless minute the process was complete. Easy as pie.  They only took 3 tubes.  That's like, almost nothing.  After a minute or two I levered myself up to a 45 degree angle, at which point my loving husband brought me a bottle of guava juice to sip from to get my strength back.  A few minutes after that I was on my feet and out the door.  Success!  Victory!  No tears, and no drama!

But as we left the lab, I felt the gravity-enhancing field clamp down.  I told myself: "It's temporary.  Get home, put your feet up, have a good dinner and a good sleep, and tomorrow you'll be running for the bus like today never happened."  So I got home, put my feet up, and relaxed.  When I started to shiver, I hauled myself up and put on another sweater.  A few minutes later when I still felt chilly, I pulled on a blanket.  When that didn't work, I took my temperature.  Fever.  Crap.

It doesn't take much these days to throw me back into the symptoms.

I went to bed at 9:30 pm.  Set my alarm for 6:30 am like usual, but couldn't bear to get out of bed until 7:30.  Had a shower, and now I'm exhausted.  I'm still cherishing a remote and perhaps ridiculous thought that maybe I'll get myself in to work for this afternoon, but I'm not counting on it.

I'll probably end up lazing around on my couch, regenerating hemoglobin and praying that this time the symptoms bugger off in a hurry.

14 comments:

Lynn said...

I hope you find what the issue is soon, that must be so frustrating.

Tracy Moore said...

So sorry you're feeling bad again! It is so aggravating to keep riding the roller coaster. Sure hope you're feeling a little better soon and that you get some answers. *hugs*

LL Cool Joe said...

Damn, I thought this post was going to have a happy ending. At least you felt good for a bit, and I hope that happens more and more!

Warped Mind of Ron said...

Geesh... you would think that the doctors could prescribe you a super vitamin or something when they send you to take blood. I mean obviously you have very little of something to spare. Hope you feel better soon.

Sparkling Red said...

Lynn: Thanks. Yes, I am in a terrible mood today, and it's not that I'm feeling physically terrible, it's just that I'm so freaking frustrated.

Pixie: Thank you! At least I had one good week. I have to try to look at it from that perspective for now.

LL Cool Joe: Damn straight. Here's to more good days and good weeks, and months, and YEARS!

Ron: I am waiting for the day when doctors can diagnose with one sweep of a tricorder. We really have not come all that far from Victorian times in some ways.

Jameil said...

My goodness! I can't imagine being that drained after 3 vials of blood! And I also can't imagine why no one knows what's wrong!! As far as medicine has come, there are still so many diagnoses yet to be discovered and well-known. Where's Dr. House's team when you need them?

kenju said...

I hope you feel better soon. Allergies are trying to get the best of me (pollen) but I'm not giving in to them!!

Jenski said...

I'm with Ron. I'll keep my fingers crossed that those precious vials turn up hints and clues, if not answers.

And I think the clear message here is really that every couple of weeks you need to celebrate Purim. Maybe you don't have enough Purim in your blood?

Sparkling Red said...

Jameil: I hear Dr. House is a bit cranky, but if he could help me I'd put up with that.

Kenju: Oh dear, good luck with your allergies. Those are not fun. My husband goes through the whole range of allergy symptoms every spring and summer.

Jenski: That's it! I have a hamentashen deficiency!

DarcKnyt said...

I left work early today too. I just felt sort of sick to my stomach and I'd rather not vomit at work if possible.

Not as frustrating as your circumstances, though. I'll say a prayer for you Spark.

G. B. Miller said...

Fainty McFaintster...I like that. I have to remember to use that sometime.

I think I'm impervious to being stuck with needles or blood drained. I've had it done so many times that it's almost become my medical white noise.

Hopefully they came come up with something toot sweet so that you can get back to being your old self again.

Ileana said...

I hope you stayed on the couch with your remote and watched some good movies.

I hope you get your answers soon, chica! I want to see you healthy and energetic! :)

DarcsFalcon said...

Feet up, lots of good iron rich food and some yummy sleep.

Your body simply can't handle a 3-vial tap, that's all there is to it.

I'll be saying a prayer that you're back up to speed soon hon. *hugs*

Sparkling Red said...

DarcKnyt: Barfing is bad enough in the comfort of your own home. I can't imagine dealing with it at work. I hope you feel better today!

G: You're a tough cookie. I wish I could man up and take it like that!

iliana: In fact, I watched one of the best movies ever. It's a Canadian film called The Triplets of Belleville. Rarely have I been so delighted. See it if you can find it!

DarcsFalcon: Thanks! You are a sweetie. :-)