Sunday, March 1, 2015

Happy March!

We did it!  We survived February!  We all deserve a hearty pat on the back.

Are you ready for spring?  I am.  So are my houseplants.


Would you believe that I trimmed my plant forest in December?  The monstrous aloes are under control now, but the other plants have surged in to take up all the available sun-space.

Many of my plants are adoptees from my 98-year-old grandmother.  People bring her plants as gifts, and she isn't up to taking care of all of them, so she passes the older ones along to me.  The pink one, the coleus, is from her.  (Actually all of the plants in this photo are from her.)


Coleus fuchsia is a happy-making colour, especially when sunlight turns the leaves into stained glass.  It's a lively plant; it has been trimmed many times, but it never quits growing back.  And, after living with me for around 4 years or so, it surprised me recently by flowering for the first time.


Amazing!  Teeny purple flowers looking like baby shoes came out of nowhere.  I mean, think about it.  They're made of re-organized dirt.  It's pretty incredible.

The African violet is getting ready to bloom again.


So is this plant, whose name I might have known once but have forgotten:


Its flowers are big and floppy, have around five petals, and are orangey-red.

Even the old spider plant has produced a baby spider.  I'll prepare a pot for it soon so that it can put down its own roots.  I bet my mom would like to adopt it


Everything is growing, including my hair.  Do you maybe remember that last winter I decided to grow it out from a very short pixie cut?  Well, the bottom layer is down to my shoulders now.  This morning I decided to play with it.  I've never tried doing a French braid on myself before, so why not now?  Here are the results:


Not bad for a first try, I think.  Now I just need to get some flowers to grow out of my head and I'll be bee-yoo-tiful.  Maybe if I just sit in the sun for a while...



10 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

Wow your hair has grown, I remember seeing a photo of you when it was very short. You obviously have a way with plants and hair!

Warped Mind of Ron said...

Plants have legends of me. I am the doom bringer!!! No plant can live under my care! Muahahhahahahahaaa!

Ginny said...

I love plants! Your plants are adorable (is that weird to say?!) My apartment has horrible light though and most of my plants don't do too well. My bamboo is ok though.

I can't french braid at all but then again I've never tried on myself. It seems complicated.

Sparkling Red said...

Joey: I inherited my green thumb and my Miracle-Gro hair from my mom. Sometimes I wonder if I channeled the energy that my body uses to grow hair into some other, more constructive project, what could I do? (Probably be a super-hero or something.)

Ron: Stay away from my green babies!

Ginny: Thanks! I definitely think that they're adorable. I admire them every day, and I pet the leaves of the fuzzy ones. The violet is the fuzziest.

Jenski said...

Nice job on the plants and hair! I love having plants around and feel like a failure when I lose one (which is pretty rare). Cute little flowers too.

DarcKnyt said...

In our area we're welcoming March with a couple of inches of snow, and some sleet too. Yay.

Hope it's better your way!

Here's to winter dying soon.

Lynn said...

Good for you on the french braid - my hair is very curly, so I'll never be able to pull that off.

And good job on the plants! I have only one inside and it's begging for mercy. :)

Snowbrush said...

I have over 40 houseplants, but I don't have a single one that you have--not even the ubiquitous spider plant.

G. B. Miller said...

Spring has finally sprung in blog land!

Yay!

Father Nature's Corner

Vanessence7 said...

Your hair, and your plants, are awesome! I remember when you said you wanted to grow it out (your hair) and look! It really is growing fast. :)

I love your plants. I used to have many indoor plants years ago, but none now. I think the one you mentioned being unsure of might be a geranium, or possibly in the begonia family.

Wish I could take some cuttings from you!

Happy Spring!