Sunday, December 20, 2015

The Goose is Getting Fat

I haven't been able to drum up much enthusiasm for Christmas this year.

I don't mind winter.  I can put on a parka and tolerate waiting for the bus during a snowstorm.  I accept that it's not optional, so may as well make the best of it, right?  But Christmas... couldn't we have it every other year?

11 months in between the onslaughts of seasonal pop music, themed advertising, and consumerism masquerading as genuine sentiment is not enough, IMHO.  Frankly, the only thing that I look forward to every year at Christmas is my friend's homemade candy cane brownies.  They taste just as good as they look.  Better, even.


(Photo credit to my deliciously skilled friend.)

(By the way, I should mention that credit for the photos in my previous post, about Pandemic Legacy, goes to The Internet.  They were all stolen, because I don't have access to the game at home, and do you think my friends were going to let me spend time setting up a photo shoot while they waited when we could actually be playing the game?  Ha ha ha ha no.)

Conspicuous absence of a graceful segue....

Once upon a time, around a year ago, I accidentally killed Big Leaf.  Big Leaf was exactly what it sounds like, a big leaf.  I have a houseplant, species unknown or forgotten, that produces large leaves and the occasional bright red flower.  One leaf eventually grew so large that I felt it kind of developed its own personality.  I used to say Hey and high-five it when I walked past.  Then, one day, when I was doing some routine pruning in my window garden, I accidentally snapped Big Leaf's stem.  I felt so bad.

However, in time the plant produced a successor.  Meet the new Big Leaf.


It's not quite as big as the old Big Leaf... yet.  It's getting there.  I am already starting to bond with it.  You can bet I'll be more careful with this one.

6 comments:

Ginny said...

I really don't like Christmas music. You can't escape it though. I miss getting excited for Christmas like I did as a kid. Now I get excited about vacations.

DarcKnyt said...

Sorry, Spark, I have nothing but love for this time of year, and I can't WAIT for it again this time. I know it's probably because of the kids, but there's always been something special about it for me, and even my psychotic family couldn't take that away from me.

So I hope the Spirit of the Holiday comes to you soon and stays. Or that you don't get too irritated, at least. :)

Merry Christmas, Spark. All our best. :)

Vanessence7 said...

I remember that plant! I thought it might be from the geranium family. Way to go on the re-growth!

I'm sorry you're not feeling Christmasy, Spark. I suppose a lot of people don't. I don't mean people who wouldn't ordinarily celebrate it, but sometimes people just aren't feeling it. Sadness, or stress, or grief can sometimes destroy holiday spirit, too. I try to pray for those people, because I know how much it sucks to feel that way when it seems like the rest of the world is happy.

I hope for you it's just a case of the "meh's" and not something else going on. It's been stressful for you at work, I know.

May you enjoy an abundance of Candy Cane Brownies, dearest Spark. :) *hugs*

PhilipH said...

I get more and more depressed as Xmas creeps ever closer, from late October thru November and December ... It just drags on and on and on and ... on. Adverts for stuff that only kids really want, like the ever-increasing X-box type of stuff and games like Grand Theft Auto.

Xmas was invented by Charlie Dickens and Queenie Victoria and hubby Albert. What a calamity! Xmas cards are virtually MEANINGLESS nowadays. 80 per cent of crap is sold on the run-up to the 25th December. And the crap that doesn't get flogged off is sold a week later at 20% of the pre-Xmas price.

If there is a Mr. Bah Humbug then it's ME.

Jenny Woolf said...

Well, it is carols used to advertise cr*p which gets to me. However, it's better than nobody taking any notice or being forbidden to celebrate, as was the custom in Puritan times, I have been reading. Happy Christmas to you!

Jenski said...

I was with you on lacking holiday spirit this year. I was a little cranky at Christmas and also a little not enthusiastic. I am also looking forward to putting away my Christmas decorations! Oh, well. We made it through. ;-)