Thursday, November 5, 2015

The County

I am out of town visiting with relatives in Prince Edward County.  This is my third time here, so I'm not nervous about taking the train like I was at first.  Nothing to be scared of here.


The upholstery on the train seats reminded me of video games, or a much-too-easy maze.  Find your way from the red dot to the blue dot, without getting lost!


The train ride was uneventful.  When I arrived at Belleville station, I was flooded with affection for my Dad when I recognized him walking toward me on the platform.  It had been so long since I'd seen him or my step-mom, I can't even remember when the last time was.  Months ago.  It was a happy reunion.

Today we took a trip to Napanee.  It was my first time riding on a ferry in a car.


It felt weird, nesting modes of transportation like that.  Like, imma take my feet and put them in this car, and take the car and put it on this boat.  What's next?  Float the boat into a space rocket?  Or hook it up to a team of camels and have them pull it along?

When the boat started, and I could see that we were moving, it was also weird to open the door and get out of the car.  I mean, one is not supposed to climb out of a moving car.  That is not normally a good idea.  But it's okay when you're on a ferry.


Napanee is a pretty, little, old town.  We had lunch and a wander up and down the main street.  We visited the local pet store, where we received a warm greeting from the welcoming committee.  There was this guy:


who, having established that I was a head-patter, sat down on my feet and would have been happy to remain there indefinitely; and a black-and-white Boston terrier who simply would not stay still long enough for me to snap a photo. 

The bearded dragons were surprisingly sociable.


Lin's Barber Shop cum Art Gallery was a neat little storefront.  Lin paints all his own signage, like this price list:


Very Norman Rockwell-esque.  

And that was about all the excitement that we could find in Napanee.  It was plenty enough for us! 


7 comments:

Ginny said...

I've taken the ferry to Nantucket and I see people bring their cars on and I always found it funny. Let's drive my car onto a boat!! I do like ferry rides though.

DarcKnyt said...

I love ferries. There are far too few of them in my neck of the woods. One day I must move someplace where one MUST take a ferry to get in or out. :)

I'm glad you're enjoying your vacation Spark! It feels like I was there. :)

LL Cool Joe said...

The last time I went on a Ferry boat trip it was from the UK to France and both kids were very young, and puked up the whole journey. We decided we wouldn't go on a ferry again. :D

Glad you got to see your Dad!

Snowbrush said...

I love ferries, and have had the privilege of taking one ocean-going ferry from Washington State to BC and another across the Chesapeake Bay. I also love it that you shared your trip on your blog, especially your joy at seeing your father. For no other reason than that you’re from Canada, I’ll mention that my favorite daily radio show is from there. It’s called As It Happens and is hosted by Barbara Budd. Since it’s the only Canadian show that I get, it has to be my favorite if I have a favorite, but even so, I very much look forward to hearing about what’s going in Canada each day since for every minute American radio focuses on Canada, I’m sure it spends 24-hours on Syria. Year after year, nearly all that we hear about here is the news of violence in the Middle East.

Lynn said...

What a nice trip - love the doggie greeter. He looks lovely!

Vanessence7 said...

What a great trip!

The train upholstery reminded me of a sort of free form Pacman, lol.

I love the little town, Napanee, you visited! It looks like some place I'd love to live. The view is stunning.

How nice to be flooded with such warm feelings upon seeing your father. That is a precious gift, Spark, you are so blessed to have such love toward and from your family. :)

I'm glad you had such a nice visit! Next time, will you pack me in your suitcase? :D

Granny Annie said...

I am most excited to take my first train ride soon from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, to Dallas, Texas. But I have already had a ferry boat ride. I was eight years old and will never forget being able to get out of the car and walk around on the journey then drive the car off at the end of the trip. I also remember greeting my parents after long absences and that wonderful feeling of warmth and happiness. Try to stay close as often as you can. Loved this post of pleasant memories for you and for me.