Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cheerful Against All Odds

Don't hate me for saying this, but I'm loving the endless rain.  I love the lush greenery and the abundance of cheerleader pom-pom dandelions.  I love watching big, squishy worms ooze along the sidewalk.  I love falling asleep to the sounds of drips, drops, and puddles. 

I'm feeling optimistic, a propos of nothing.  I just feel good.  Even though I may need to fire another employee, *sigh*.  These things happen, and I refuse to get caught up in the drama of it as I did last time.  I recognized, after weeks of being in the doldrums, that I had identified with the employee because recently the future of  my job had been slightly called into question.  I was thinking of how sad I would be if I lost my job.  Then I got confused about the fact that I hadn't and probably won't for at least a while yet and I think that at some level I thought I was her.  Once I figured out what I was doing, I snapped out of it.  I promise not to do it again.

I feel good even after the fiasco on the bus.  I was running for a bus that had already pulled away from the curb but was stopped at a red light with the doors open.  I was moving fast so it felt natural to execute a graceful, gazelle-like leap up into the bus.  It was all very Chariots of Fire until my trailing foot failed to clear the doorsill and I went down like a sack of bricks.  I was carrying two bags, a full-sized umbrella, and trailing a coat-belt and a long scarf, so it must have looked like a full closet collapsed onto the floor. 

From where I had fallen, I looked up into the terrified face of the driver.  I could see the whites all around his eyes.  I'm sure he was like "Oh shit, I didn't follow safety protocol and now I'm going to get sued and fired and probably thrown into a swamp of rabid alligators!"  Technically he shouldn't have had his doors open once he was away from the curb - the extra height between the road and the bus floor was what did me in.  Of course also I shouldn't have been jumping for it like an idiot.  I am willing to take full responsibility for my goof.

He asked me if I was OK, and I assured him that I was fine and moved to the back of the bus.  We waited there for five minutes or so.  Apparently I fell so hard that I broke the bus, because shortly after that there was announcement that we were all to offload and wait for the next bus due to mechanical problems.  Gee, good thing I near to killed myself running for it!  Anyway, later on my knees turned purple and swole up good, but it didn't hurt much, and I got the ground-in stains out of my trousers with one wash.

I did feel sorry for myself for the rest of the evening, but I got over it, and I'm all good now. 

10 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

Firstly, what rain?

Ouch, that sounds like a nasty fall. Did anyone on the bus help you up, or did they just watch you?

I think I'd be embarrassed more than anything else. What an entrance!

Jameil said...

This made me giggle terrifically! Thanks! And I'm glad you're okay! You know... other than the knees!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I stopped reading when you said you like all the dandelions.

You suck.

They're everywhere!

I hate them.

Jenski said...

Ouch! Reminds me of a greeting card I have tucked away for the right occasion that says: Laugh and the world laughs with you. Fall, and...You guessed it. They're still laughing." I only share that because you say the driver looked horrified and you got over it. Hope your knees are doing okay!

Also, I agree the rain is nice. I would prefer if it was is the 70s here and rainy instead of the 50's though. (~20 vs. ~10 for degrees C people.)
:-)

DarcKnyt said...

I'm glad you're all right, really, but I'd pay good, solid money to have seen that belly flop. No kidding. That would have been hysterical.

Sorry. I'm glad you're okay, really.

Ileana said...

I'm glad you're OK but it sounds like a scene from a chick flick...where some mystery man is watching you from his usual seat on the bus shaking his head and thinking to himself, I must meet that chica and make sure nothing like this ever happens to her again! :)

DarcsFalcon said...

You remind me of my husband with that love of the rain. :)

I'm sorry you took such a spill! I hope your knees heal up quickly, but score for getting the stains out of your pants!

*hugs*

Sparkling Red said...

LL Cool Joe: Clearly Toronto is getting all the rain in the world, and that's why you don't have any.
No one helped me up, but that's because I got up on my own immediately. I'm sure if I'd lolled around on the floor for a few moments someone would have offered me a hand. And yes, I was quite embarrassed.

Jameil: Good! Every humiliating experience becomes worthwhile if I can turn it into a funny story. :-)

wigsf: Of course you hate dandelions. I would have been shocked if you didn't.

Jenski: Today is the first day where we're getting warm rain instead of chilly rain. I grant that warmth is a big improvement.

DarcKnyt: If only someone had recorded it, I'd post it on YouTube. I'd probably go viral.

Ileana: That's exactly what would have happened in a movie! You called it.

DarcsFalcon: Thanks, my knees are doing fine. Apparently the right one took the brunt of the fall, so it's still purple and will probably turn all sorts of lovely colours before it heals, but the left one is already totally normal.

Warped Mind of Ron said...

Glad you're ok from the fall. I would have taken a moment and then started ranting, "Who grabbed my foot! They're always grabbing and tripsing me!!! Making me fall they do!!" Of course making wild gestures would be good too. I just think a crazy bus jumping lady is funnier than a normal lady. :-)

John said...

So you had to go through a lot that evening ! Your game you take things so casually which is a rare quality now a days among people.
Yes I too LOVE rains !
Are you Rain or Snow?
http://www.3smartcubes.com/pages/tests/rain-snow-test/rain-snow-test_instructions.asp