Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Worm Hopping

First I need to make an announcement:  I am well!  I have been back to my normal for a while now, but didn't want to jinx it by making premature pronouncements.  I feel rested after 8 hours of sleep!  I've been making plans!   With friends!  And making plans to make new friends!  It's fantastic!

No big surprise: the gloom I was feeling is also drifting away, like fog in bright sunshine.

Bright sunshine has been in short supply weatherwise.  I'm not sure how it's been for folks elsewhere on the continent, but Toronto has seen a ridiculous amount of rain. 

You know what time it is when the rain starts pouring down.  It's time for WORM HOPPING!  Those of us who are soft-hearted (and possibly soft-headed) walk slowly when it rains, scanning the sidewalk ahead with urgent concentration.  We are looking out for our helpless friends, the worms.  Here are some tips to make your worm avoidance techniques more effective.
  1. A live worm's body will be oriented in a more-or-less straight line.  When a worm is cruising, he will point himself towards his destination, and go for it.  Flies buzz around aimlessly, landing here, then there, then going back to where they started from.  Worms are much more purposeful.  Worms have goals, and they achieve them.
  2. A curled-up worm is most likely a dead or dying worm.  The poor little things crumple in their final agony of suffering.  If you spot a curled-up worm feel free to step on it - if you don't mind getting worm-goo smushed onto the sole of your shoe.  If you don't care about being gross, go for it.
  3. Convenient though it may be to bring your waterproof shopping buggy out in the rain, it will be much more difficult to avoid all the worms when you are trying to keep track of both your feet AND two wheels.  I will not address this message to those who ride bicycles, because it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk in Toronto, so goodness knows you will NOT be up there running over worms, will you now?  And women pushing infants in strollers, well, new moms have enough to worry about without worrying about worms.  Which brings me to my next point.
  4. If you do step on a worm by accident, don't feel too bad.  There are lots more worms where that one came from.  Why do I even try to avoid them?  It's irrational.  But then again, so are keeping pets, giving birthday gifts, and writing blog posts.  Some of the best things in life are irrational.  Like me.  I rest my case.

8 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

Well you sound perky! I'm glad you are feeling so much better and worm spotting, or hopping, or whatever.

We are having a heatwave at the moment so no worms around here!

Lynn said...

I do the same thing when I am walking in the park(s) - dodging worms and bugs. Although one worm might have been a little snake - I really avoided that one. :)

I'm glad you are feeling better.

Jenski said...

I was just thinking about this last week as I was avoiding the sidewalk worms walking in to work! I will definitely keep in mind the curly ones are dying anyway. Luckily, we have not gotten the type of non-stop downpours that seems to cause a max exodus of every single worm out of the ground into my path, so they are still easily avoidable thus far.

Glad you have been better despite the gloomy weather!!!

Jameil said...

Lololol! Girl please! I can't be bothered to worry about worms!! But blog posts and birthday gifts? Those I can get behind!! Glad you feel better!

kenju said...

Where I live there are no sidewalks...lol...so I don't have to worry. I suppose I drive over a few every day, but I can't be held accountable for that, can I?

Glad you are back to normal (whatever that is)!!

DarcsFalcon said...

Yay for well! Woo! That's awesome news, Spark, I'm so happy for you! :D

You crack me up. Soft headed - lolol. I only avoid rain-worms because I hate guts of any kind on my shoes. I am still of the opinion that the only good bug is a dead bug, but I won't squish them. *shudder* If they're in the house, I get the vacuum. :D

Warped Mind of Ron said...

Mmmmmm.... worms.... best served with ketchup... or is it catsup????

Anonymous said...

Some people think that eating dessert before dinner is irrational but it makes life interesting.....i always thought if you knowingly stepped on an ant is was back luck....but thanks for pointing the worm gps thing....zman sends