Sunday, November 1, 2015

The good, the bad, and the Bubbe

I hope that all y'all had a good October 31st, whether or not you celebrate Halloween.  The weather in Toronto was ideal for trick-or-treating: relatively warm, windless, and dry.  My "costume of the evening" prize goes to the boy who dressed as a turkey dinner.  He wore a table top (covered in a red-and-white checked cloth) over his shoulders, with his head sticking through a hole in the middle.  He wore a plate as a collar and a roast turkey hat.  The table was set with plates, napkins, cutlery, and several side dishes in small serving vessels.  Give that boy ALL of the candy!

I am enjoying the weekend, but niggling work worries are never far from my mind.  One of my bosses popped into my office on Thursday, and, without much of an explanation, announced that the number of staff I am employing is "extravagant" and that we must immediately begin ruthlessly cutting hours.  Upon enquiring further with my other boss, I learned that a lawsuit we are embroiled in is the problem.  Although no one believes that the claimants have any good cause to seek compensation from the business (except the claimants themselves and their lawyer, of course), the cost of protesting our innocence via lawyer$ is sucking up a large portion of our cash flow.  

Now I have to consider firing one of my dear staffers who has been a loyal and hard worker for many years.  (Yes, I could fire someone less senior, but 1) there's a cost-per-hour consideration and 2) it's way more complicated than you even want to know.)  I haz a sad.

In an effort to distract me from my anxieties, Ken took me to the fancy mall for lunch and window shopping.  It was super-effective.

Versace always wins for Fierce Factor, in my opinion.  I mean, look at these totally unwearable shoes.  Are they not absolutely the most chic ever?


How about these laughably impractical boots?  So awesome.


Don't worry.  Versace does NOT reserve all the bling for the ladies.  Far from it.  LL Cool Joe, these shoes are for you.


Speaking of bling, Birks' estate jewellery section (of course they don't called it "used"; that would be so gauche) had these spectacularly ugly Canadian flag brooches in ruby and diamond.  I would like to know who they used to belong to.  Clearly someone with terrible taste.  Think of the beautiful pieces you could buy for that amount of money!  I mean, I'm a proud Canadian and all, but this is taking it too far.


 Oh, and if you're going to a baby shower anytime soon, I found this Fendi sweatshirt for a 1-year-old for $320.  Some people really have more money than they know what to do with.


Just when I was feeling all relaxed, having spent Halloween with friends, and eaten several fistfuls of tiny candy bars, my cell phone rang.  It was my 99-year-old Bubbe's assisted living facility looking for a family member.  At 10 pm, this couldn't possibly be good.  I braced myself for catastrophic news.  Fortunately, she was neither dead nor hospitalized.  She had fallen a couple of times that day, and it's their duty to inform someone.  The bottom line at this point is that she's not quite herself, and she may have had a small stroke.  However, she still hasn't run through all of her nine lives, so she may yet survive to celebrate her 100th birthday.  She's only got 6 months left to reach that milestone.  Go Bubbe!  You can do it!

9 comments:

DarcKnyt said...

Happy Halloween to you too, Spark. :) I'm glad things turned out to be all right with Bubbe. And I'm very sorry to hear about your work situation. Never good. Never. :(

Jameil said...

Go Bubbe! We're all rooting for you!

Jenny Woolf said...

I'm glad that the shopping helped. It can be so entertaining to look at crazy price crazy stuff so long as it is imaginative and fun. Those flat shoes appeal to me too. I don't suppose they'd suit me any better than the others would :). I hope that this week is less stressful for you.

Lynn said...

That sounds like a very tough decision, my friend - sorry you have to do that.

Those shoes are just crazy and a one year old definitely doesn't need that kind of expensive shirt. That's just crazy, too.

Hope your Bubbe will be OK.

G. B. Miller said...

Fortunately (or unfortunately as the case may be) cost considerations are not a factor when it comes to laying off people with state guv'ment (virtually impossible to fire someone once they've finished their working test period), as people with less seniority are the often the first to be chopped.

Amazon

Granny Annie said...

Love this entire post but especially loved your use of the word niggling. I haven't heard that in a million years and it was one of my dad's favorite expressions when things were picking at his brain. Somebody would have to think long and hard before they bought those boots or shoes.

Granny Annie said...

Love this entire post but especially loved your use of the word niggling. I haven't heard that in a million years and it was one of my dad's favorite expressions when things were picking at his brain. Somebody would have to think long and hard before they bought those boots or shoes.

LL Cool Joe said...

Well I really hope Bubbe makes it to 100!

And thanks for the shout out, I was in Egypt I think when you posted this so missed it, but how could I miss those shoes! I'm not sure even I, the King of Bling would wear those, even if I had the money to buy them, but I'd like to have them anyway, just in case I change my mind. :D

Vanessence7 said...

Oh my goodness, my heart did a little hiccup when I saw that Bubbe was in the title. Whew! I'm so glad she's okay! You know I'm rooting for her. To 100 and beyond! Go Bubbe!

I am so sorry you haz such a sad. :( Seriously, it is incredibly hard to have to navigate those employment waters. My heart hurts for you, and for your employee. Losing a job right before the holidays certainly isn't fun either, as is having to let one go.

The shoes though - you know how I am about shoes! LOL They were awesome. :) I love the ... artistry for lack of a better term, of shoes. They can be so fun to see.

Glad you had a nice Halloween, Spark! :)