Monday, March 23, 2009

Grace in Small Things #5

I have a sense that Grace in Small Things is supposed to be all about the small, transcendent beauties of everyday life.  The first flowers of spring, the kiss of raindrops on one's upturned face, and the simple coziness of home.  But sometimes nothing beats the thrill of rampant consumerism.

On Saturday I set a record for pairs of shoes bought in one day.  I'm not sure what happened, except that Ken and I both had spring fever of the brain and we went a little crazy.

I set out to get a simple pair of white shoes for our wedding.  Mission accomplished:



Then I tried on some sneakers, because my old pairs are all busted up and due to be replaced.  These ones were very comfy:



The coolest part is that the white-on-black isn't a print, but a brocade, woven right into the fabric.  It's very classy.

Then I found these cute-as-a-button high tops:



Not only do I love the pinstriping around the soles, but there's also the bizarre detail of assymetrical lacing.  I couldn't say no to them.



Finally we dropped into the John Fluevog store.  We never fail to take a peek inside when we're strolling on Queen St., but we've never bought anything because the shoes are all quite pricey.

They were having a sale.  

I couldn't decide between the tone-on-tone vanilla/tobacco/mahogany slingbacks and the cherry-red t-straps.  Ken said "I'll get them both for you."  I didn't argue.



So that was all great fun.

Five pairs of shoes - that's my Grace in Small Things for today.  Next time I'll be sure to come back to heartfelt sentiments about my loved ones, moments of quirky humour, and the softness of kittens' fur.  Today, I'm going to revel in my shoes.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

a post about shoes; you're such a girl.

Anonymous said...

The red shoes are HOT!

Warped Mind of Ron said...

Ummm.... nice shoes.
I think you will appreciate this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCF3ywukQYA

savia said...

Fluevogs? I am oh so jealous!!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Know what I love about shoes? They let our individuality shine through! Love the last two pairs of shoes. What a fun day!

Jameil said...

You KNOW I'm all for a post about shoes! Yay!! Thank God for footwear!! I think I'm going to have to go for your record! The most shoes I've bought in a day is 3. I can't believe you're beating me!

Karen said...

I love thsoe last 2 pairs. Super cute and the heel is not crazy-high. Love it.

Sparkling Red said...

WIGSF: Yes, I do have my girly days.

Unsigned: Thanks! I agree. :-)

Ron: That video is hilarious! That's what I'm talkin' about. Let's get some shoes, bitch! ;-)

Savia: I'm so not used to being the one walking out of that store with shoes for me. It's confusing. I'm almost jealous of myself.

Nilsa: Shoes are fun like that. If only I had more storage space... I don't get to indulge my love of shoes very often. Saturday was a day to remember.

Jameil: I can't believe it either! But I remember your stacks of shoe boxes from packing. Trust me - you have me beat on overall numbers, no question!

Kate said...

You just got jealous of all my shoes last Friday. Fess up, girlie!

Scarlet said...

Wow! You have a pair of shoes for every occasion...and the last ones are my favorite! Sexy! :)

LL Cool Joe said...

Loving the DC sneakers/trainers, whatever you call them there! So you are a bit of a surfer chick then? When you aren't in the heels that is?

Logan said...

"Mr. Fluevog, you make goooood shoezies."
The real question is, are they adult sizes, or kidlet sizes?

Sparkling Red said...

Kate: It's true; I did. But truly I'm most jealous of your collection of hand-knit socks. You can't just go out and buy those, either. And I don't think I'm about to take up knitting.

Scarlet: I can see you wearing the red shoes. Hmm... maybe you could order up a pair online. ;-)

LL Cool Joe: They're sneakers, or "sneaks", on this side of the pond. And I'm not much of a surfer girl excepting the clothes. Sometimes I think if I'd been born ten years later I might have taken up skateboarding. As a teenager in the 1980's I roller-skated every weekend, but that's almost as old-fashioned as penny-wheeler bicycles today!

Logan: For all that the rest of me is small, my feet are completely average. Which is a good thing, because being forced to wear childrens' shoes for my entire life might have driven me to drink.

Jenski said...

That was definitely a successful day of shoe shopping! A great way to start spring too! I'm a little jealous of those last couple of pairs. :-)